Walker Repeats in NFR Round 2
Photo Credit PRCA ProRodeo/Mike Copeman
Mary Walker and her bay Dash For Perks gelding, Perculatin (“Latte”), are now two for two at the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo, taking place Dec. 6-15 in Las Vegas, Nev. Walker didn’t disappoint her growing fan base when she ran in the 11th position on the ground to post a rapid 13.80 and add another $18,257 to her ballooning Women’s Professional Rodeo Association season earnings. Over 17,781 fans were in attendance at the Thomas & Mack Center to witness the continuation of Walker’s dominance.
“The run tonight, I got a little by the first, which I will work on in the morning in practice just walking, keeping him relaxed and thinking about my position. He was just really firing, really running and that’s what I want.”
Walker added that Latte tends to get better with each run. “What I want is to keep him relaxed and happy. If he gets a great start in the alley, that’s kind of his deal, he’s set up for a great run,” added Walker.
In another hard fought round, Benette Barrington Little and the great Jud Little owned stallion, JL Dash Ta Heaven, were hot on Walker’s heels with a time of 13.82 for second. NFR rookie and 2011 WPRA Rookie of the Year, Lee Ann Rust, and SS Streakers R Us (“Harley”) posted a time of 13.91 to split third and fourth place with defending WPRA World champion Lindsay Sears. WPRA World standings leader, Brittany Pozzi, Victoria, Texas, and her palomino powerhouse Yeah Im Firen (“Duke”) finished fifth with a 14.00 to pad her lead by another $4,712.
As the WPRA World standing begin to shuffle, Walker, who entered the Wrangler NFR ranked third, hold strong to second with $163,807. Pozzi ranks No. 1 with $186,568, while Lindsay Sears is third with $145,596.
Barrel Racing Results – 2ND Go Round:
- Mary Walker 13.80 $18,257.21
- Benette Barrington-Little 13.82 $14,429.09
- Lee Ann Rust 13.91 $9,275.84
- Lindsay Sears 13.91 $9,275.84
- Brittany Pozzi 14.00 $4,711.54
- Sherry Cervi 14.09 $2,944.71
WPRA World Championship Standings:
(Through 1st Go Round)
1. Brittany Pozzi Victoria, Texas $186,568
2. Mary Walker (G) Ennis, Texas $145,569
3. Lindsay Sears Nanton, Alberta $163,807
4. Carlee Pierce Stephenville, Texas $124,520
5. Sherry Cervi Marana, Arizona $96,006
6. Nikki Steffes Vale, South Dakota $89,666
7. Kaley Bass Kissimmee, Florida $86,282
8. Benette Barrintgton-Little Ardmore, Oklahoma $82,823
9. Brenda Mays Terrebonne, Oregon $81,799
10. Lee Ann Rust Stephenville, Texas $78,519
11. Kelli Tolbert Hooper, Utah $78,110
12. Lisa Lockhart Oelrichs, South Dakota $72,461
13. Christina Richman Glendora, California $60,872
14. Trula Churchill Valentine, Nebraska $60,777
15. Christy Loflin Franktown, Colorado $59,563